Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Conversations

This is a freewrite I did with Melissa when we met today. It's called Conversations and it started with a starter phrase from the book she's reading. The phrase was: "You must have slept". Enjoy!

Oh... it's a series of conversations, so don't be confused...

***
Conversations

- You must have slept.
- Yeah, it was Shakespeare. What do you expect?
- Your English teacher made you go?
- Yeah, for extra credit. I have a fucking 79.4 percent in that class.
- That sucks.
- I woke up in the second half and thought they were talking about refrigerators.
- Were they?
- Dude… it’s Shakespeare, they used fucking holes in the ground.
- Oh.
- You obviously didn’t go.
- I just told you. I was at Bill’s house.
- What’s Bill up to?
- He’s got a new girl.
- Yeah?
- Yeah, the secretary in his dad’s office.



- Where were you last night?
- Bill’s.
- You didn’t do anything, did you?
- No, mom. We had to go over some paperwork.
- I don’t trust you, Anna. You know that. What were you really doing?
- Paperwork! I told you!
- Michelle’s mom told me Michelle tells her the same exact thing!
- Yeah well… Mrs. Hudson is crazy! God… Why don’t you just leave me alone!?



- Last night, I saw the most wonderful young singer.
- Oh really? What was her name?
- His. He was Joseph Joplin. Excellent steak, John.
- He can’t hear you, Barbara. When he’s barbequing, he’s completely gone.
- My husband’s exactly the same way! All the time! He got a phone call the other day and you know what he says? “Mr. Hudson? Yeah… Oh! That’s me!”
- How funny! What was he doing?
- He’d just gotten home from walking Baxter.



Baxter lies in his basket in an empty house. They’ve gone out for the night, but it doesn’t bother him. For once, they’ve left him inside and he gets bored easily.
He’s already covered the shoes and the side of the couch. He even took care of the handbag on the floor in the kitchen and now he is slowly working on a little booklet of paper he found in the recycle.
If Baxter could read, he might have stopped after noticing the word “Shakespeare”.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment